Emmett History

For four generations the Emmett family has set the standard in South Australia for commercial, industrial, retail and residential property development.

1990 – 2000

Andrew Emmett undertook a series of property developments through joint venture arrangements.

Projects

  • Boral Formwork and Scaffolding State Office, Wingfield
  • Bridgestone Truck Centre, Wingfield
  • Spotlight Showroom, Melrose Park
  • Radio Rental Showroom, Melrose Park
  • Carrier Air Conditioning Showroom, Office and Warehouse, Edwardstown
  • Coventry Group Showroom, Office and Warehouse, Edwardstown
  • Target State Distribution Centre, Adelaide Airport

1980 – 1990

The contracting side of the business was still highly successful, but Andrew Emmett turned the operation predominantly to leading edge, high-quality property development.

Industrial developments at Regency Park

  • International Harvester
  • Bridgestone
  • Bank SA
  • Mazda
  • Honda
  • Rothmans
  • Nissan
  • Taubmans

Commercial developments

  • Westside Plaza Shopping Centre, Broken Hill
  • Metro Shopping Centre, Unley Road, Hyde Park
  • 164 Fullarton Road, Dulwich
  • 76 Waymouth Street, Adelaide
  • 26 The Parade West, Kent Town
  • 15 Fullarton Road, Kent Town
  • 206 Greenhill Road, Eastwood

1970 – 1980

Andrew, Ray Emmett’s son, took over control and the focus turned from general contracting to design and construct projects and property development.

Projects

  • Oxford Corner Retail Development, Unley Road, Unley
  • Numerous bulky goods retail developments, Anzac Highway, Keswick
  • Kemthorn State Office and Warehouse, Goodwood Road, Wayville
  • David Jones Warehouse, Adelaide
  • Apartment complex, Noosa, Queensland
  • Building works, Scotch College

1950 – 1970

With John G Emmett’s son Ray at the helm, the business consolidated its activities into contracting with minor interests in property.

Projects

  • North Terrace House, Hackney
  • Law School, the University of Adelaide
  • Numerous buildings at Scotch, Seymour and St Peter’s colleges
  • Elizabeth City Centre, Elizabeth
  • Extensions and alterations to Balfours Bakery, Adelaide
  • Grandstands, Cheltenham and Morphettville racecourses

1908 – 1950

Started by John G Emmett with the business concentrated in the areas of carpentry, joinery and general building works.

Projects

  • St Augustine’s Church, Unley Road, Unley
  • Prospect Catholic Church, Prospect
  • Holden & Frost (to become Holden) Manufacturing Facility, King William Road, Adelaide
  • Holden Manufacturing Plant, Woodville
  • Extensions to Calvary Hospital, North Adelaide
  • Commonwealth Bank Building, Currie Street, Adelaide